Sunday, September 15, 2013

Erastes


Erastes
Your eyes shiver under their lids
seeping through skin
their liquid vision slithers out
to baptize me
old and naked at the doorstep
of my love’s infancy.

You are the augur of adoration:
when you smile,
I descend,
and kiss your feet,
wash your legs,
cleanse my rugged hands
in the refuse of your bath.

Then you draw the life out of my leaves,
sap from the wood,
while I, blinded by bliss,
cry through parching lips for you:
“drown me, drown me--let me drink
the saccharin,
and crush
the berry of your maw!”

And I grow wild,
venomous,
a thorn outside the flowerbud,
vines clung to your body,
choking it.

But you could tame the savage heart,
ring the beating flesh with steel,
if you opened up your soul to me,
made me in your image: young,
let me love you, inside/out
and devour you!

So, if you return my stolen youth,
I will plant the seed
and water it
and with my hands
provide some shade,
and with a beam of glory,
become the sun,
and grow the vine
inside of you.

If you can make me young,
I’ll be your throne
of flowers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment