Sunday, September 15, 2013

Hyacinth


Hyacinth
Petals insect the sky,
 buzzing the smell of rain,
 beating their wings
 with which they instrument
 a flood of pollen over me.
Always, I hear the wind:
 a hand rubbing my neck
 biting with gentle teeth.
Breath, breath, breath,
 it is so light to breathe, so soft upon
 my tongue, my lungs,
 but air, it seems, has formed
 in its molecules
 some lead that drags the sky,
 down with my organs
 to heaven’s opposite: the earth.
The frothing soil specks consume
 my name, my face, my features.
And though the earth devours me,
 I find the cause of my distress
 within the sky above.
 It is the sun and western wind
 who push and pull
 at my appendages.
The disk weighs down on me
 setting my back aflame
 while drafts pull me up
 into a gentle hurricane.
And so, one part of me is stuck
 within the clay; another part
 is caught inside the clouds,
 pulled and pinched by air.
I am two parts severed,
 with legs and arms
 bound in the leaves,
 forced to salute the sun
 till time itself has passed,
 and even then, still I’ll salute.
Gods, take me off this earth
 or lay me in its bowels!
 I don’t care where I am placed,
 I only want to be placed:
 to know my realm,
 not be compound
 some vernal in-between.
If I was born a man,
 I want to die a man,
 and let it end at that.
But since I live, I ask,
 is it the sun who has
 betrayed my nature,
 or is Zephyrus who I must blame
 for my afflictions?
Should I accuse both my suitors for this
 sick transfiguration?
If I should choose a single god,
 who deserves my poison most,
 I will suppose it’s you, the sun,
 who has not given me
 the choice to live or die.
All life should linearly lead to death,
 but my birth within and out of earth,
 repeats.
This once dead Hyacinth,
 is left a floral prisoner
 strapped to the wheel
 of seasons, spring and time.
It will forever turn,
 and I with it, in constant cycle,
 without a chance to be at peace,
 or sun my skin by you.
 Without a chance to reflect your light,
 Without a chance to return your love,
 Without, even, a chance to breathe.


No comments:

Post a Comment