Sunday, September 15, 2013

Shame: In the Voice of Eve


Shame: In the Voice of Eve

In that my flesh is counterfeit-
not made of earth or out of the dust,
but of a distillation from the body of a man-
I have no shame in how I live,
but that I thrive
despite the stasis of my cells
and feel despite
the plastic of my shape,
worries me.  

My soul is liquid,
pouring through my lips, through my breasts,
through fingertips pressed against my lover’s chest,
through yearning in my blood,
leisure under the boughs of an all-knowing tree,
or in my eyes drifting from his face
into the sky,
into the mysteries of why, of how:
of how can I yearn for the sun
when I’m not even made of earth
and bound with fluid breath.

I look to the sky
and feel it in my spine, in the movement of my neck
that I am upright, my origin is there,
but I look towards Kadmoni, to Adam,
and see the red clay of his sinewed limbs
of my extremities,
and when my soul steams through my lips
into his ear,
I feel that I betray my birth from the sun,
and yet when I yearn for the stars,
and drift beside the clouds,
I cannot help but feel the weight of Man upon my lap,
and that my face burns red:
I swear I would be shameless
if I was only one.  



No comments:

Post a Comment